- I normally file 4-5 reports each month. They are comprehensive assessments (usually of around 25-30 pages for a single client, 45-55 pages for double client assessment).
- I try to arrange appointments with clients within 10 days of receiving the Letter of Instruction.
- My time between receiving the Letter of Instruction and filing the report is normally between 4 and 6 weeks.
- I file reports on time.
- I try to leave a diary slot available each month where I am available for 'urgent' instruction (4 weeks).
Terms and conditions
I anticipate that my fees are paid by instructing solicitors normally within 4-8 weeks of date of my invoice.
Price per assessment and report (a single client) is normally £2,000 to £2,400.
I take work via instruction from solicitors, not direct from clients.
- Ashcroft, J.J. & Owens, R.G. (1986) Weight Control in Pregnancy. Thorsons.
- Ashcroft, J.J. & Owens, R.G. (1987) Watch Your Child's Weight. Oxford University Press.
- Ashcroft, J.J. & Ashcroft, J.B. (1989) The Psychology of Weight Control (Get Slim and Stay Slim). Oxford University Press.
This book is also published in Italian and Spanish as:
- (b) Italian: Dimagrire e facile. A.S. Macor editori, 1991.
- (c) Spanish: Como adelgazar y manternerse delgado. El Libro de Bolsillo, Alianza Editorial, Madrid 1992.
- (d) Published in Malay, 1994.
- Ashcroft, J.J. (2011) Anxiety, the Essential Guide (Need2Know, Forward Press).
Richards = maiden name
- Richards, J. & Blackman, D. (1980) Effects of locus of a brief stimulus in a second order schedule with pigeons. Animal Learning and Behaviour, 8(4), 630 634.
- Richards, J. & Blackman, D. (1981) Effects of time out after food reinforcement in a fixed ratio schedule with pigeons. Behaviour Analysis Letters, 81 87.
- Richards, J. & Blackman, D. (1981) Chain or brief stimuli in fixed interval schedules: equal versus unequal components. Behaviour Analysis Letters, 139 147.
- Ashcroft, J.J., Leinster, S.J. & Slade, P.D. (1985) Breast cancer patient choice of treatment: preliminary communication. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, 78, 43 46. An abstract of this paper was also published in International
- Owens, R.G., Duffy, J.E. & Ashcroft, J.J. (1985) Womens' responses to detection of breast lumps: A British study. Health Education Journal, 44, 69 70.
- Ashcroft, J.J., Leinster & Slade, P.D. (1986) Mastectomy versus breast conservation: psychological effects of patient choice of treatment. Psychological Issues in Malignant Disease, Pergamon Press.
- Ashcroft, J.J., Leinster, S.J. & Slade, P.D. Psychological aspects of breast cancer: effects of patient choice of treatment. (B.A.S.O. conference proceedings, Nov., 1984). European Journal of Surgical Oncology, March 1985.
- Owens, R.G. & Ashcroft, J.J. (1986) Breast cancer screening the way ahead. Journal of Psychosocial Oncology, 4, 15 26.
- Ashcroft, J.J. (1987) Coping with breast cancer. Rapport: Cancer care Journal, 5:11.
- Owens, R.G., Ashcroft, J.J. & Duffy, J. (1987) Early detection and presentation of breast cancer. Current Issues in Clinical Psychology, Vol.5, 262 269. N. Eisenberg & D. Glasgow (eds), Gower.
- Ashcroft, J.J., Slade, P.D. & Leinster, S.J. (1987) Psychological aspects of breast cancer treatment. Current Issues in Clinical Psychology, Vol.3., 173 181. E. Karas (ed), Plenum, London.
- Owens, R.G., Ashcroft, J.J., Leinster, S.J. & Slade, P.D. (1987) Informal Decision Analysis with breast cancer patients: an aid to psychological preparation for surgery. Journal of Psychosocial Oncology, 5, 23 33.
- Owens, R.G., Ashcroft, J.J., Slade, P.D. & Leinster, S.J. (1988) Psychological effects of the offer of breast reconstruction following mastectomy. Psychosocial Oncology: Proceedings of the Second and Third meetings of the British Psychosocial
Oncology Group, pp.113 118. Pergamon Press.
- Leinster, S.J., Ashcroft, J.J., Slade, P.D. & Dewey, M.E. (1989) Mastectomy versus conservative surgery for breast cancer: psychosocial effects of patient choice of treatment. Journal of Psychosocial Oncology, No.1/2. pp.185 198.
- Turpin, G., Ashcroft, J.J. and Holland, E. (1993) "A survey of staffing and resources for clinical psychology postgraduate education and training" Clinical Psychology Forum, 58, 32-36
- Ashcroft, J.J. and Gray, I. (1993) "Personal support in training: trainee needs and Course responsibility" Clinical Psychology Forum,60, 12-15
- Ashcroft, J.J. and Turpin, G. (1994) "Clinical psychology postgraduate training: meeting the shortfall." Health Manpower Management, 20, no.2. 35-36. (MCB University Press)
- Ashcroft, J.J. (1997) "A trainer's view of boundary issues and the abuse of power in supervision." Clinical Psychology Forum, 107, 47-48
- Ashcroft, J.J. and Callanan, M. (1997) "Clinical Psychology Training: the end of core placements" Clinical Psychology Forum, 108, 41-42
- Ashcroft, J.J., Callanan, M., Adams, M., Roth, A., Gray, I. and Lavender, A. (1998) Clinical Psychology Training and the Core Placements Issue: ways forward. Clinical Psychology Forum, 112, 50-52
- Ashcroft, J .J. (2006) "Supporting patients with pain: the clinical psychology service at the Royal Lancaster Infirmary" Morecambe Bay Medical Journal, 5, 2-5
- Ashcroft, J. (1990) Lose a Stone. Slimmer, Watch Your Weight, No.3, pp.1 96. Magazines International.
- Ashcroft, J. (1990) Beat that Binge. Slimmer, Watch Your Weight, No.4, pp.1 78. Magazines International.
- Ashcroft, J. (1990) Your Children: Do they face a fat future? Slimmer. Oct/Nov, pp.76 77. Magazines International.
- Ashcroft, J. (1991) Think yourself slim. Slimmer, Feb/Mar, pp.20 21. Magazines International.
- Ashcroft, J. (1991) Food Control. Slimmer, June/July, pp.19 20. Magazines International.
- Ashcroft, J. (1991) The Agony of Gaining Weight. Slimmer, June/July, pp.38 39. Magazines International.
- Ashcroft, J. (1991) Don't Ditch that Diet. Slimmer, Aug/Sept, pp.14. Magazines International.
- Ashcroft, J. (1992) Dieting Within Reason. Slimmer, Feb/March, pp.82/83. Magazines International.
- Ashcroft, J. (1992) Confidence Figure it out. Slimmer, April/May, pp.14/15. Magazines International.
- Ashcroft, J. (1992) Are You Mad About Your Body? Slimmer, June/July, pp.69/70. Magazines International.
- Ashcroft, J. (1992) Pace Yourself. Slimmer, Aug/Sept, pp.20/21. Magazines International.
- Ashcroft, J. (1993) Hypnosis - help or hype? Slimmer Oct/Nov, pp26/27. Magazines International.
- 1974: Leavesden Hospital, Herts
People with learning disabilities
- 1975: Moss Side Special Hospital (now renamed Ashworth)
- 1982-1985 Royal Liverpool Hospital
Therapeutic intervention with breast cancer patients and their families (including children); G.P. referrals of a more general nature, adult mental health problems.
- 1985-1993: Well Woman Clinic (Preston) and G.P. referrals (adult mental health; family interventions).
- 1990-1992 Wigan Health Authority
Psychological problems associated with obstetrics and gynaecology - therapeutic intervention with parents and families for issues relating to infertility; family planning issues; adoption.
- 1993-2001 Primary Care (Blackpool Trust)
Predominantly adult mental health work but also associated family interventions
- 2001-2009 Lancaster Royal Infirmary
Psychosomatic pain, PTSD, psychological effects of accident; non accidental injury
I was employed by the NHS for 16 years and have also been involved in training clinical psychologists with the North West, having been Programme Director of the Doctorate in Clinical Psychology at Lancaster University 2001-09.
Qualifications & Membership
|1976 - 79
||University College, Cardiff (The University of Wales).
Tutorial Fellowship in the Psychology Department.
Thesis, "Effects of stimuli on schedule controlled behaviour" awarded Ph.D.
|1980 - 82
||University of London.
MPhil in Clinical Psychology, based at the Institute of Psychiatry, University of London. The Bethlam Maudsley Scholarship was awarded as funding for the post. Clinical work included placements in hospitals, community
homes and special schools in south London with:
people with learning disabilities
adults with mental health difficulties
children (aged up to 18)
children and families
assessments and treatment of people with neuropsychological problems
||Dissertation based on work with autistic children "Effects of method of stimulus presentation on acquisition of response in discrimination training"
||Included in "Who's Who in the World" 15th Edition
||British Psychological Society
||Affiliate member of the Division of Clinical Psychology
||Full member of the Division of Clinical Psychology
||Elected Associate Member of the Society
||Group of Teachers of Psychology
||Chartered Clinical Psychologist (and Annual Practising Certificate)
||Elected Fellow of the Society
||Health and Care Professionals Council:
Practitioner Psychologist (Clinical)
Qualifications & training
Bond Solon University of Cardiff Law School Awarded certificates in regard to being an Expert Witness:
- Excellence in Report Writing
- Courtroom Skills Training
- Cross Examination
- Expert Witness in Proceedings related to
- Family Law
- Criminal Law
- Civil Law
In terms of assessment and reports for the Court, my experience includes:
- Parent-child attachment issues, psychological aspects related to parental contact and care
- Family-related issues which include assessment of psychological functioning of parents and children; psychological matters related to domestic violence, psycho-social effects of alcohol and drug abuse, non-accidental injury in children
- Assessment of cognitive / intellectual functioning and related issues in adults; matters relating to Capacity to Instruct
- Stress related difficulties (including PTSD)
- Anxiety, depression and self harm
- Wider Mental Health issues, including indications for therapeutic input
- Personality Disorder and associated difficulties
- Propensity for violence